Search Engine Comparison
Each person will be working with a different search engine. The engine should be
totally analyzed and the following questions should be answered. Additional interesting
information should be provided (in case I missed something). If something is not
applicable to your search engine or is not supported by your search engine that is a
legitimate answer. Please list the sources you used at the bottom of the report.
Be prepared to hand in report converted to HTML on disk as well as on paper (done with a
Go to the questions
- When and how was the search engine started? What was the concept or goal?
- What is the size of the index (approximately)?
- What is the frequency and methodology for updating the index (people, submissions,
crawler, combination etc.)?
- Does the search engine utilize other search engines as its primary source or as a
secondary source? In other words, does it do its own search or use other engine(s) - always,
initially, after no success etc.
- Does the search engine include a directory or a subject tree?
- If there is a directory, what is the relationship to the search engine - does it cover
the same sites, how is it updated etc.
- What part of the document is indexed: whole, headers, first paragraphs etc.
- How is ranking done when the results are presented?
- Does it tell the rating/ranking place when it presents?
- How is presenting done (list, summaries, user choice etc.)?
- What is the default handling (and/or) if you simply enter several words?
- In a search, is there any way to weigh words?
- Is there a query by example or "more like this" feature?
- Is there a way to refine the search?
- Is there a feature that lets the user narrow the search by date?
- Does the search engine have a narrow the search component that lets you use only these
results for the next search?
- Does the search let you type a "plain English type of question" to do the
- Does the search engine use concepts or fuzzy kinds of searches? If so is there a way
to do the search that will not use the fuzzy components?
- Does the search engine have both simple and advanced searches?
- Are there limits on what can be done in the simple search and what can be done in the
advanced search? Briefly outline.
- For the questions below - if the feature is handled specify how and show your own
- AND search
- OR search
- NOT search
- Proximity search
- Nested AND/OR search
- Case- sensitivity (how is case handled)
- Is there field searching (URL, titles etc.) - if so specify what fields.
- Did you find other features that you like that are not covered in this set of
specifications? If so, briefly explain them.
Go to the feature list
Back to the top