Below is a list of some of the things that should be considered in evaluating sites.
Web design can be said to have three parts: Information design, interaction design and presentation design. Were all three done effectively?
The designer should think about the message, the audience (including their goals and the background of information they bring to the site), purpose, structure including look and navigation. Did the designer of this site think about these things?
- Does the site convey its message, does it do it effectively, is the scope and purpose appropriate?
- Does the site have a good idea of the audience they want to attract and is the site appropriate to that audience?
- Does the site use the resource (i.e. the Internet) well?
- Is the information the audience needs readily available? One of my pet peeves - is there an address and phone number readily available?
- Is the site easy to navigate? Is it well organized? Are their navigation tools like indexes overview or maps? Is it easy to retrace your steps or get to something? Is it easy to get lost?
- If the user enters the site via a link to a page, is it easy to get to the home page?
- Does the site load quickly?
- If the site does not load quickly does it give alternatives that allow you to start exploring before all of the graphics are loaded?
- Is there content? Is there something there worth a revisit - information, fun to explore etc. Does it meet the needs of the audience?
- Is there style? Things to look at?
- Is the general layout, arrangement of information effective?
- Is it too crowded, too busy, too confusing?
- Is "white space" used effectively?
- Is underlining used and if so is it easy to differentiate between underlining and links?
- Is the graphic style consistent enough to give the site "a look"?
- Is color used effectively? What about font, graphics, animation, sound? Do they add to or distract from the message?
- Is there too much that is too cute and has been used too often?
- Does the background help or overwhelm the site?
- Is there advertising - is it for the company or advertising from other sources to get a free site?
- Is there a lot of irrelevant stuff like icons that do cute things, banners, awards, counters, animations which may be meaningless to the point you are trying to make?
- Is what you are looking at old or current - has it been updated recently etc.?
- Are all of the links active?
- If the site is static, is that appropriate? Should there be interactive information like sending away for more information or ordering something
- Is there too much text - is it unreadable - is their medium awareness?
- If people surf with their graphics off is their enough information or text alternatives?
- If appropriate, are there good links for more information? How are the links handled? How does the user handle returning to the site?